No matter, whether you start your journey with programming, or simply want to learn Kotlin as the next programming language, you will have to choose some IDE to work with.
In this short video, I will show you how to install IntelliJ IDEA on Windows and set up it for Kotlin development. As a bonus, I will show you how to run a Kotlin code directly from your browser, without the need for installation.
2. Why IntelliJ IDEA?
But before I show you the exact steps on how to install IntelliJ IDEA on Windows for Kotlin, let’s see a few points about why should we choose it. Of course, these are just a couple of points
- First of all, IntelliJ IDEA is a tool created by the JetBrains team- the same company, which created the Kotlin programming language. If we would have to choose a company, for which keeping the best possible quality and support for Kotlin is in their interest, then this would be JetBrains.
- Secondly, if you would like to continue your journey and use Kotlin for Android applications development, then most probably you’ll end up with Android Studio IDE. And this one is an Android-specialized version of IntelliJ IDEA.
- Thirdly, its experience is really intuitive and combined with a code completion can spare you a lot of time
- Finally, its community version is totally free (and this version can be enough even for some commercial uses).
Of course, these are just a couple of points and I encourage you to check out the IntelliJ IDEA official page.
3. Install IntelliJ On Windows for Kotlin?
With all of that being said, all I have left is to wish you a pleasant viewing:
Let me know how the process went for you and whether you enjoyed this video.
As always, I encourage you to do it below in the comment section or through the contact form here.
Have a great week! 🙂